A report from Zero Hedge states that the Ukraine army is suffering 100 to 200 casualties a day in the war with Russia, and are running out of ammo.
"Everything now depends on what [the west] gives us," Ukraine's deputy head of military intelligence, Vadym Skibitsky told The Guardian.
"Ukraine has one artillery piece to 10 to 15 Russian artillery pieces. Our western partners have given us about 10% of what they have."
So after receiving $53 billion in mainly US aid, amounting apparently to about 10% of the weapons the NATO states possess, Ukraine wants, um, well, according to Skibitsky, the other 90% "of what they (NATO) have," which seems unduly hopeful.
What if Russia decided, in the face of a disarmed NATO, to reincorporate Finland, Poland and the Baltic states, while taking in Sweden too?
Ukraine should have thought more carefully about what they needed before poking the bear.
But there is still the matter of the $53 billion in mainly US aide that Ukraine has already received or been promised. What happened to that? Have the Ukrainian oligarchs already flogged it off at, say, a 90% discount, to Third World dictators?
Or is that huge infusion of weapons along with German and Polish training for the Ukrainian forces, -- the equivalent to more than one year of Russian defence expenditure (or approximately ten times Canada projected 2022 defence expenditure, including the cost of sending big guns to Ukraine) a game changer as Scott Ritter contends:
Washington Starts Blame Game Over Defeat In Ukraine
Is Ukraine Losing? By Walrus
Ukraine, as many skeptics including myself, warned is just a proxy vehicle to attack Russia. It has served its purpose. The Europeans have committed economic suicide by refusing Russian oil and gas. They are now totally dependent on America for energy. NATO has been invigorated and American dominance over European foreign policy must now be approaching 1950/marshall plan levels. Sanctions are supposed to weaken Russia although the collateral damage to the world economy continues to increase. American arms manufacturers are rubbing their hands over the forthcoming European orders and American oil producers are doing likewise. So what’s not to like?